I've started a board on Pinterest called Toddler Food in order to find some inspiration for recipes for my picky eater. It's not that my guy doesn't eat; it is that all he wants is carbs. Peanut butter. Crackers. I'm trying to find ways to work with what I know he will eat while slipping in some healthy options.
I decided to resort to my childhood favorite food - latkes. My son loves tater tots, so why not see how latkes go down? My inspiration came from a latke recipe from the blog Prudence Pennywise. I modified mine down to a very simple degree as a taste test for a toddler palate. And this recipe is easy - you will be done before you can say "potato pancakes".
3 peeled russet potatoes, shredded (you can do this in a food processor but I used a handheld grater)
4 tablespoons of flour (I used wheat flour)
1 cup of cooked peas
3 tablespoons of olive oil or vegetable oil
Pinch(es) of salt to taste
Pepper to taste
- Place shredded potatoes in mixing bowl.
- Add egg, flour, peas, salt and pepper, then mix together.
- Heat up oil in skillet on medium-high heat. Place heaping spoonful into skillet and flatten until thin. (I found the pan could hold about four latkes at a time.)
- Cook for about 3 1/2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 with remaining mixture. (This recipe cooked about 8 latkes total.)
To get my son excited about this new food, I had him "help" me in the kitchen by stirring the mixture with a big spoon and watching me flip the latkes. As with any new food I introduce, I gave it to him with my fingers crossed.
He gobbled it! Then he stole mine off my plate! And then this was me...
I have plans to make them next time with broccoli, carrots, cheese, maybe fish! I love you, Pinterest.